Thứ Bảy, 12 tháng 7, 2008

Natasha Bedingfield interview


She 26-year-old singer looks back on her teenage years and discovers what she might have done differently.

Where did you grow up?
My family comes from New Zealand, but I'm a London girl. I was born and raised in London, but I've got the blood of a New Zealander, so I always kind of felt like I didn't belong — in a good way.

Were you a good student?
I did actually like school. When I was 17, I was in college, but before that, I was home-schooled. I was very social. I liked to know everyone. I liked English and art and did a lot of painting. And for some reason I was good at math, but I wasn't an A student. I really had to work hard to get good grades.

Did you have an after-school job?
I got a job as soon as I could — 11 or 12. I started babysitting and then I got a part-time job at a pharmacy in England. I just remember loving the feeling of going out and buying my own clothes! I'd go bargain-hunting and get secondhand vintage stuff.

What was the worst popular trend when you were going to school?
Scrunchies! People would make their own, and put their hair in a ponytail. I wore them all the time.

Do you have a quote in your high school yearbook?
We didn't have one, but "Unwritten" was really a song I wrote for myself. “Live with your arms wide open” — I think that's what I'd write in a yearbook.

What did you want to be when you grew up?
The thing is, I really started to have dreams for myself when I was 17, but I was always afraid people were going to laugh at me. I finally just said, "Alright. I'm going to write songs, even if they're bad. I’m just going to keep writing until I get good." That is what “Unwritten” is about — just not worrying.

What is the craziest thing you ever did to get a guy to notice you?
Before I was 17, I really wasn't into boys. I was quite shy, so I didn't really want them to notice me. I'd push them all away! I never really did anything big [for them]. I just started dressing nice and making eye contact.

What was your style when you were 17? What is it like now?
It was kind of vintage. I wasn't wearing any designer stuff and I didn’t like wearing jeans very much. I still don't. I'd wear skirts and dresses, and trouser pants. It's changed a lot. You can be more over-the-top as a performer, experiment more, and be more of an individual. Now, I'd call it individual/classic/quirky.

What kind of clique were you in back then? Now?
I wasn't really in a clique. I just tried to be friends with everyone. Now, I have my own little clique. I have the best friends ever. I like taking them away on holidays and long weekends. We’ll go somewhere like Italy or Brazil. We're really crazy together!

What were your hobbies back then? Now?
I was interested in art (I loved painting), music, being with friends, and shopping. Now, [I’m into] music, water sports, the gym, going on adventures, and trying to find new places I've never been.

What rumors were people spreading about you then? Now?
I just remember being conscious of what everyone thought back then. I'm not so self-conscious now, because my job has forced me to not care what people think. I think I used to think up what people were thinking of me, which they probably weren't.

What nicknames did you have back then? Now?
Tasha and Tashy. That's about it. Now, my boyfriend calls me Twinkle Toes, because if I'm doing something, I kind of pick up on my toes a little bit.

Who was your best friend? Are they still your best friend now?
My sister has always been my best friend. She's two years younger than me, but she's very wise. I did have a best friend in school, but we don't keep in touch anymore.

What did you do for fun? Now?
I would make music. I'd love to just jam and go shopping. Now, if I'm in New York, I go out clubbing at night or I'll go and just be in nature, which I really love. I love to go to New Zealand and just swim and sunbathe. I love going online and checking out YouTube. I actually like blogging and going on MySpace and Facebook as much as I can.

What advice did your parents give you when you were 17? Now?
“Choose your battles, because you're not going to win every fight but you should choose the important ones. You can let a few slide.” My parents are so good for advice. They’re very supportive. I'll stop home and my mom will talk about her charity, Global Angels, which helps children all over the world. It puts a perspective on everything.

What did you worry about back then? Now?
I wanted to be liked by everyone. I worried about meeting someone and not remembering their name, or offending them, or making mistakes, or whether I was normal. Now, I worry about stupid things like "What's the next album gonna be like? How do I make sure I have enough time for this person?"

What was your high school boyfriend like? What is your boyfriend like now?
I don't really want to talk about [my high school boyfriend], but my current boyfriend does a lot of different things. He's very talented and very creative but he's not in the industry, so it's very nice. He’s much more balanced.

Who was your idol back then? Now?
I didn't have any posters on my walls of any boy bands or stuff like that. I loved Brandy, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, and Sting. Now, I listen to as much music as I can. I fill my iPod up with Jeff Buckley, Radiohead, the Beatles, John Mayer, Feist, and Goldfrapp.

What would you say now to your 17-year-old self?
Dear Natasha, Make the most of every day. It doesn't matter if you fall over. You can get back up again. Love, Natasha

Natasha Bedingfield is 26 years old. Her debut album, Soulmate, is out now!

Không có nhận xét nào: